Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fabric Thoughts on a Rainy Tuesday Morning

I AM HAVING A BLAST PLAYING IN MY FABRICS!!!!   I have been busy with cleaning, sorting, and reorganizing my studio, and of course trying to sew daily.  In this year of stash busting, I have discovered that I have enough UFOs and just plain-old-like-it fabric to last for several years, AT LEAST.  However, I have reduced the unfinished quilt tops, have started to quilt them, and have found so many ways to use my creativity.  As I move through the year, I will try to update this list each month just so everyone can see the progress.

I did make one purchase of new fabric that I will not be counting in my non-buying of fabric year.  My niece is going to receive a wedding quilt in the next few months, and I had not planned a queen-sized brown quilt into the fabrics found in my stash.  I like browns but could never have found enough to make a brown quilt, even with my large stash.  =0)  This one is going to be made of batiks.

Quilt tops finished:
  • two shamrock fabric quilts, one lap and the other twin-size - one quilted and the other on the machine ready to go - binding will go on tomorrow in honor of St. Patrick's day
  • 2 simple, but cozy flannel baby quilts with backs and batting ready for quilting
  • 1 baby floor quilt with batting and back ready for quilting
  • 1 twin-size Canyon Dance with back and batting ready to quilt
  • 1 queen-sized Christmas fabric strip-pieced quilt with back and batting ready to quilt
  • 3 small wall hangings with back and batting ready to quilt
  • 1 Noah's ark quilt with embroidered animals along with it's back and batting ready to quilt
  • Dad and my 4 seasons quilt needs just 2 more border strips and it will be ready to quilt - back and batting already prepared - half hour to put the borders on


UFOs that still need lots of tender, loving effort:
  • Christmas BOM center blocks finished but have not added borders or started quilting----back is ready
  • 2 bright blue, yellow, and green lap or baby floor quilts -- have to connect the blocks and borders ---on design wall
  • 1 quilt-as-you-go lap quilt that will be finished over the next month - it is a car project  ---- blocks are done, only the hand sewing of the sashing is left, but it will not look like a quilt until it is all sashed, so I count this as needing lots of tender, loving care
  • 2 redwork angel block quilts - blocks embroidered and sashing/borders /back chosen
  • 1 Christmas embroidered blocks quilt - nothing specifically selected to go with them as of yet
  • 1 stash-based, foundation-pieced log cabin quilt using a variety of strip sizes - 1/3 of blocks are completed, foundations and red centers are cut
  • 1 rail fence lap quilt using stash strips - 1/2 blocks made (would be finished but it got lost at the bottom of the stash strips container)
  • Texas sampler quilt - have the fabric and even a finishing kit, but have not touched since we lived in Texas 6 years ago
  • Paducah show booth hop quilt - have materials but have not even thought about it since attending the show in 2008
  • Deb and my batik challenge quilt - have fabrics and a tentative plan, but...........
  • Several more baseball quilts using squares and strips left from making two others for my grandsons (Boy did I get crazy buying that fabric - Grandma privilege or senility????)
  • 1 foundation-pieced queen-sized Christmas fabric quilt with 12 blocks finished
  • purse made of fabric strips - 1/2 way finished
  • blue and white bundles and yardage received for Christmas, 2009 (have a possible plan in mind for a queen-size quilt)
  • My guilds fat quarter sampler quilt with additional blocks to make it a queen-size using state blocks for each state I have lived in during my life
  • BOM that I am doing with my daughter - on schedule to be finished in December for a quilting date over the holidays
  • Mystery quilt made with bright blue, an overall bright floral, and brightly colored butterflies on white fabric - the fabric is from my stash and I have 4 steps of the pattern collected
Along with all of this, I have been getting more involved with the HeartStrings Quilt Project, and just finished another thank you quilt for a military spouse.  Quilting is my pleasure and passion, so I am going to make the most of my treasures.

Have I purchased any fabric this year?  Honesty makes me admit to the fact that I have, but all of it has gone directly into projects that were already underway before the new year.

Have I purchased other quilting items? Yes, but all have been directed at becoming a better long-arm quilter.  As I finish my UFOs I will now have other designs for quilting and the skills to make it happen.  The shamrock quilts will be quilted with shamrocks, actually have one done!  I have also practiced some other designs using less expensive fabrics and the tiny leftover scraps of fabric and batting to make dog beds for rescued animals.

LIFE IS GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment