Wednesday, April 15, 2009

In the beginning




The first quilt I made was a baby blanket for my son. I remember my mom's comments about it being too bright for a baby. Now days, many of the baby quilts I see or make are much brighter. I think that my daughter still has that quilt, but I am certain that after 30+ years it has been much loved and repeatedly washed. I made another one for my daughter, and I think she has that one as well. Might have to photograph them and add them. (Well, I asked and received. The red one is the one I made for my son and the other is my daughter's. They have obviously faded, but they have stood the test of time and have been well loved.)








The first really big quilt I made was a version of Grandma's Flower Garden. I cut all the flower pieces from fabrics that I had used to make my kids clothes and wall hangings. I purchased the green portion. I cannot even remember if I washed any of the fabrics or just some, but I consider it to be an heirloom. Every stitch is done by hand and considered to be a true labor of love. It took me 10 years of sitting at soccer practices, waiting in the car for the kids to finish up some activity, or riding in the car to some new destination to complete the top. (I did take off 2 years because of a serious injury to my arm.) As 2000 approached, I decided that I would have the quilt completed and on my bed by midnight on Dec. 31, 1999. I made it with days to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment