Saturday, July 3, 2010

Relief of Sorts

The past few weeks have been tied into what is going on with my FIL.  If you have been reading my blog for awhile you know that he has been with us and has been doing a lot of sewing and machine embroidery for me and for charity quilts.  It has been a great way to relieve his stress and distract him as he waited for this first surgery.  Then last week, another of his son's and family came for a week of visiting.  That was just as good a distraction, and he helped his granddaughter do some embroidering on her t-shirt, so he got to strut his stuff a bit.  We even had a visit from my daughter, granddaughter, and grandson. The week was constant chaos, but Dad was in the thick of things and with some of those who love him best.
Yesterday was the first of the surgeries.  I think the hurry-up and wait part of going to the hospital was very stressful for him, but the surgery went well.  Now we are back in a holding pattern for a week.  We will probably get a great deal of sewing done since he is restricted to lifting no more than 10 pounds for the next 6 weeks, but the next few days are going to be simply for relaxing and staying quiet.  Hard task for a man who wants to be busy all the time.
When we got home last night I had the opportunity to step into the studio and sew for about 4 hours.  I allowed my husband and dad to simply sit in the family room and enjoy watching some westerns together without me fussing over anyone.  This morning all seems pretty right with the world.  One day at a time is the motto here!

Happy 4th of July to all of you.  Hope you will take time to celebrate this great nation and those who protect our freedoms both at home and abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment