Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Salute to Those Who Serve

I love this quilt and plan to make a similar one for my husband when he retires in 2011 after 30 years of military service.  The loops and stars quilting seems to fit because I believe that those that serve represent the pride and honor of our country.  When I put a star at the top of a quality homework assignment, I am telling the student the work is worthy of praise.  When I put stars on a Quilt of Valor, I am trying in my own small way to tell a woundered service member that I recognize how much they have given for my freedom.  To all who serve or have served, THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it's beautiful!! Did you piece this one or just quilting it for someone? I absolutely love its simplicity.
    I love your way of quilting in the recognition and the thank yous. I hope you share that when you give away your QOVs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You asked about the stars and stripes Quilt of Valor. I did not make the quilt top, but I did do the quilting. There are a lot of quilters who are willing to make tops, but there is a real need for people who will actually do the quilting. Once the quilting is done, there are also quite a few who are willing to bind. It is definitely a group effort. Sometimes I send on my thoughts in a card which passed on to the service member, but sometimes I simply sign the label "A Navy Wife" or "An Appreciative American." Seems like that says it all.
    --

    ReplyDelete